The Most Popular Posts

Why We Should Never Pre-Order Video Games Again


I know that I probably shouldn't make my first entry such an angry one, but I think that this is an issue  that deserves our attention. Video Games aren’t cheap, especially for young people. We pay $60 plus tax to get a new game. Now I love video games, but the gaming industry and stores like Game Stop are pushing for people to pre-order EVERYTHING instead of getting it the old fashioned way. And this practice puts the consumer at a pretty large disadvantage.

Love this game













                 Love this game too

I remember the first game I ever pre-ordered was Windwaker for the GameCube. Nintendo offered anyone who pre-ordered the game a special disk with TWO VERSIONS of Ocarina of Time, and I thought that deal was amazing. It really was a win win situation. It’s good for the company because they have a number of sales before they even release the game. And it was good for consumers because we got an extra game as a thank you for pre-ordering. Now take a moment to think about that. You got AN ENTIRE GAME as a prize for pre-ordering. Two games really. So things started out nice but then companies got lazy. Nowadays we get a bonus skin for our character or we get to some special armor when we start the game. To me it feels less like a prize for pre-ordering and more like them just withholding part of the game if you don’t pre-order. Honestly think about the last few pre-order specials you got. Did they feel like something extra or just something that should have been included in the game from the beginning? Video games came with fun modes and unlockables as a reward for playing all the way through or finding and Easter egg. Now those same fun modes are held hostage, and we don't get them unless we pre-order or pay an extra fee online.






My biggest problem with pre-ordering is that we have no idea what we just paid for. Sure we may know the game series, but sometimes a new developer is brought on to design the sequel and they can kinda screws it up. *Cough* *Cough* Obsidian *Cough*. When you pre-order you haven’t seen any reviews. You don’t know anything about the quality of what you are buying, and personally I think that $60 is a lot to spend on a shot in the dark. Let’s not forget what just happened with the Aliens Colonial Marines.



Because of the pre-orders, this game sold like crazy before anybody even knew it sucked. Well I suppose the developers knew. But my point being that people basically had been duped.

Now I know that the video game industry's response to this would be something like “Well we loose so much money because of game rental companies and people reselling used games.” Well in response to that I’d say News Flash: Every medium has to put up with that. What makes you so special? Books, DVD's, Blu-rays, even computers get resold all the time. Hell, libraries rent books out for FREE. In 2010 the video game industry made around 100 billion dollars. I can’t say they're hurting for cash.

100 billion, That's a lot of coins.


So what can we do? What can the average person do against multi billion dollar companies. I’d say lets just stop it. Stop pre-ordering games just to get some stupid bonus skin. Funny thing is, video games are one of the only industries that can get away with this. Imagine if the Blu-ray you bought didn’t come with special features. Instead you’re left with a message that says, “You have to pre-order the disk to see the gag reel. You may go online and purchase the special features for $10.” I’m telling you if we keep doing the pre-order thing, that’s where we’re headed. Now I know that not pre-ordering can be difficult. I’ll admit I couldn’t resist pre-ordering Batman: Arkham City, just for a few brief moments as Robin. But we have to resist. 

So this is my proposal: From this point on, lets not pre-order anything unless the item offered is amazing. BUT only put down the minimum amount money needed to pre-order. Then, before picking it up, look at the reviews. If the game is as abysmal as Aliens was then skip it. I know, I know you put down five bucks. Well I'd rather loose $5 than loose $60 on a bad game. Then when the game company finds that no one is shelling out the money promised to them by the pre-orders then maybe, just maybe, they'll have to think twice about trying to sneak a crap game under the radar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment